I have been preparing for missions ever since I graduated High School in 2006, starting off unwitting diligence with ministry internships which eventually lead me to Biblical and cross-cultural training at BCOM. Throughout college, I was impassioned for the Gospel, the Great Commission, and the unreached peoples of the earth. Passion is usually what we see in missionaries, and passion is essential. There is, however, another thing that all missionaries need as much as passion: Planning.Every worker of the Gospel, no matter if they're in Marseille, France or Brownsville, Ohio, needs a plan. The unspoken question of, "So, Jarred, what will you actually... do with your time?" must be answered. It must be understood by the Senders that my family and I aren't going to Marseille for vacation, but for the important work of laboring for the Gospel. It is my desire to be open with the various activities that will make up my 40-45 hour work week, that those who send may be encouraged by our faithfulness, that fellow missionaries may be exhorted by our intentionality, and that we may be strengthened by your accountability.
To-Do:
Here is a list of the various activities I will engage in as a pastor/teacher:
~Prayer This is not an exhaustive time of extreme isolation, but rather taking time with others every day to intercede for the French people.
~Communication Skills This involves reading French books and taking language classes to develop a robust French vernacular. This will also include Learning Arabic via Rosetta Stone.
~Preparing to Teach Studying the Scriptures in order to be thoroughly versed in the Bible as well as reading a broad variety of subjects in order to be a competent teacher.
~Individual Meetings Sitting down with Christians in order to encourage them in the faith and with non-Christians in order to share the Gospel with them.
~Developing Discipleship Curriculum Blogging devotionals as well as designing and printing Bible study handouts for small-groups.
~Hosting/Facilitating Small-groups Welcoming people into our home as well as the homes of other believers for teaching, worship, communion, fellowship, and prayer.
~Assisting Fellow Missionaries Taking time every week to lend a hand to my fellow missionaries in whatever ministry they're participating in.
~Updating Senders This includes but is not limited to writing letters, emails, post cards, Facebook updates, and video chatting via Google Hangout.
There is more that we can put on the list, undoubtedly, but this is a clear job description of what we will be doing during the week. As a teacher, I will dress as a teacher and conduct myself as one too, having in mind my mission while in France: To teach the Bible and to preach the Gospel. This will take many forms, but I am a teacher in the end and will answer as such when asked what it is that I do.
It is our prayer that us practicing excellence, integrity, professionalism, and faithfulness will encourage all to do everything possible to schedule their time with the Kingdom in mind.
Grace to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment